Thread: Smile Precure
View Single Post
Old 2013-01-30, 13:33   Link #809
justsomeguy

The good:
* Cutest character designs for the Precure franchise so far.

* Characters all got their turns in the spotlight, and nobody was forgotten as the story progressed. Akane and Nao were too similar though, since both were hotbloods focused on sports and family. Also, with regards to family IIRC oddly enough while we meet her grandmother Miyuki's direct family seems irrelevant unlike the other Cures.

* Music is quite good, nothing that makes me want to cover my ears.

* Brilliant episodes: the mid-season battle and introduction of Rainbow Burst, Happy Robo, being turned into kids, Cinderella Miyuki, etc.

The bad:
* The battles in the beginning were pretty bad, since they were just "hit Akanbe with purification attack, if fail be totally helpless until new Cure shows up to hit the Akanbe with theirs".

* While the themes of happiness, hope and despair were well used, the motif of fairy tales took a back seat for the most part.

* The Mysterious Library is underused. It's only relevant for a very small number of mostly filler episodes, and the show's plot wouldn't change at all if it was written out.

* I'm tired of Toei's Edo set. I didn't expect that to show up in anime form. -_-

* Time wasting and bad pacing. Heck, the second half of the show was a repeat of the first, with the Decor collecting and the doom clock, and episodes that could have fit just as well into the first half, when the writers should have taken the chance to kick the show up a notch.

* The episodes with the character development and upgraded attack introductions should have been much earlier, and the Bad End Precure really should have been more than MotW.

* Production cheapness: The episode where the villain trio turned back into fairies had noticeably inconsistent art, Royal Rainbow Burst is a copy of the normal Rainbow Burst (quite frankly, they should have just dropped one). Epilogue uses recycled animation from the OP.

* Besides just suddenly showing up, everything about the finale episodes felt rushed and flat. The villain trio being all fairies had absolutely no buildup before the reveal. Even Pop hadn't recognized them before. Having the Precure fall and have to pick themselves up twice during the battle disrupted the emotions that the writers were trying to evoke. It doesn't help that the final scene of the epilogue with Candy showing up again basically crapped on the drama 15 minutes earlier (at least it wasn't stretched out into multiple episodes like the DD or Lotte finales).

final score: 7/10. While the show was enjoyable by its individual episodes, the main plot didn't feel like it held together well or that the writers made an effort. The fillers were actually more interesting than the main plot.

Currently playing: LoH Trails in the Sky SC
justsomeguy is offline   Reply With Quote