View Single Post
Old 2007-07-12, 22:56   Link #147
Joka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Well... your first roadblock is that you're defining their choices as "wrong".
Each choice has advantages and disadvantages. The extreme end of individuality is that you chuck altruism and charity out the door and its all about "me me me". I think we see the negative results of that mentality all the time here in the US "not my problem" "not my trash" "not in my backyard" "they're all on their own, screw 'em" ....
On the other hand, collectivist thinking leads to some pretty cruel behavior against the individual, also wrong. Such thinking also means the social structure misses out on the possible improvements that individualism might create.

There's a happy medium: collectivism could learn from individualistic cultures and vice versa --- but we all know that societies have an innate skill in picking up the worst attributes of other societies.
I am defining things as wrong or right by my outlook at life. I talked about extremism of either side being bad. As it "seems" the degree they put the group above themselves I can not agree with and I deem it as wrong. The company, the group, the group agreement they put above a lot of things and I just do not agree with that mentality and I think it is wrong. Not giving a shit about anybody on the other hand is also wrong.
Joka is offline   Reply With Quote