View Single Post
Old 2007-07-12, 23:45   Link #156
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joka View Post
I also heard that even though friendly to foreigners the Japanese interact (to a degree) with one because it is considered the "cool" thing to have one as a friend and to interact with one, thus putting the actual friendship relationship as a lesser reason and putting impressing other Japanese as the highest reason (however I am not sure how true that is).
That can be applied to many people in many countries though. At my university, people were lined up around the building applying to partner-up with an exchange student. Not all, but most people were there because they wanted to feel cool, show off their partner to their friends, etc.

Also, you can't really expect that's going to happen in every situation - it depends on the person whether they'll use you or if they geniunely want to be your friend.

Quote:
I also heard that for Japanese women dating a foreigner is considered very good, but marrying one is looked down upon or something along that.
I know this is a very specific example (again it would depend on the individual people), but one friend who was born and raised in Japan decided to marry a foreigner, and her family thinks it's awesome. XD
Risaa is offline   Reply With Quote