View Single Post
Old 2010-11-16, 13:51   Link #145
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn Beaver View Post
As you said, Kyousuke thinks that the real cute moment is worth it and the brash outer side is just Kirino being Kirino. While for me it's not, and while I understand that's who she is doesn't mean she can't change and improve her behavior instead of having her whims catered to all the time. I think my mistake is that I identify with Kyousuke too much, and got annoyed when he doesn't do as I would like him to do.
You know, props to you for your honest self-reflection. I think a lot of people judge shows based on the way they want it to develop rather than on what the show is trying to actually say. And on a certain level that makes sense; everyone's happy when things go the way they want. This is entertainment, so there's nothing wrong with being a bit selfish (and it's no small surprise that this anime is being used to market a PSP game which will feature a large variety of possible endings so that everyone's personal preferences will be addressed). But all that said, it isn't a fault in the show that Kyousuke has different values than we may have as viewers. It just means that certain viewers may enjoy the show less as a result (because it won't become the show they were hoping it would be).

In a way, I would say that Kyousuke and Kirino are very similar. They both run their mouths and act all hostile with each other (Kirino by acting all bossy/selfish, and Kyousuke by acting all annoyed) but at the end of the day they are growing a certain understanding about and appreciation for each other. And I suspect that is what the anime is trying to portray about their relationship more than anything else; this is a story about "love", regardless of the exact "classification" of that love when the curtain falls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn Beaver View Post
So yeah, I guess in order to enjoy future episodes more I guess I shouldn't do that and try to be more patient with Kirino, keeping my complaints to a minimal, while hoping that the background of why she's so hostile will be explained or she'll develop her character a bit so that I can find her more tolerable.
Well, enjoyment tends to be personal, but "appreciation" doesn't necessarily require quite as much enjoyment. In general terms, I think rather than focus so much on "why I don't like Kirino", people could focus on "what does Kyousuke see in Kirino" (and vice-versa) and thus come to recognize the show's themes and messages more clearly. Otherwise, assuming the show continues to develop as it has so far, I think we're just going to continue seeing more of the same static complaints from here to the end. There is something to be gained from "wising up" to what the story's trying to say, even if it isn't always the message we wish to hear.

(Incidentally, all of these "words of wisdom" (if you can call it that) brought to you by D.C.S.S. Anyone who was there at the time will instantly know why... )