View Single Post
Old 2009-12-15, 15:48   Link #45
KanonTheFurniture
Witch's Golden Breaker

Shannon is easily one of my favorite characters (alongside Beatrice and Kanon) for mainly one reason - she is to date the only person we've seen seriously piss off Beatrice. And how.

In EP1, when I still didn't feel attached to anyone enough to have a 'favorite' character, I took the most liking the Kanon. Why? When everyone else was standing around shitting their pants over the presence of a killer in their midst, Kanon ran down to the boiler room to confront the murderer. He probably knew he'd die, which is why he cast off his label as furniture to bring down 'the roulette'. He earned my respect by doing that.

In EP2, Shannon was a major focus, compared to EP1 where she seemed to just be there for the maid fetish fanservice and to be one of the first to die. She took several levels in badass and decided to deny Beatrice her entertainment by not letting it affect her. She accepted George's proposal even though she knew it would mean the deal of her being spared was off the table. She bravely took a stand against Zombie!Kanon. She knew that destroying the mirror was her sin, and took responsibility for it by trying to stop the witch, storming into the chapel with the others and ultimately standing up to the witch directly. From an Anti-Fantasy perspective, Shannon's barrier could be a representation of her will or defiance against being furniture, and it is indeed her last stand. She goes out with a bang, and no one else has yet sent Beatrice into nearly as blind a fury as Shannon did by simply and coolly mocking her.

She did the same in EP3, even though she was one of the first victims again. She stood up against the witch and protected Kanon. She may not have PO'd Beato as much as she did in EP2, but from what I recall she still made her preeeeetty angry. Okay, so she's not defying Beato in the same cool, action hero style as Battler. She doesn't have to. She manages to show a lot about her character by doing what she does, especially because she goes completely against the stereotypical maid archetype she's presented with in EP1, and even all the flashbacks and inner monologues of EP2. Shannon is a lot cooler than I think most people make her out to be, and she's not there just for the sake of fanservice. I really don't want to suspect her being guilty, though there is a lot of suspicion (no, not that Suspicion, DEEN...) about her, and I think there's a good chance that - culprit or otherwise - she has a lot more importance in the core of this story. I look forward to seeing her develop further in future arcs.