View Single Post
Old 2012-11-05, 18:14   Link #14
Echoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
As an aside, the opposite thing also happens. I once reviewed an anime that I liked, offering it good points and bad points and ends up giving it a 7/10. I got hit by a shitstorm of people who asked why I didn't give it a "perfect" and not realizing that 7/10 is actually a positive score. There are both sides to everything.
I think there's something to be said for this. It seems like there's a tendency in reviewing, professional game reviews in particular I've noticed, to rate things on a 7-10 scale, with consumers seeing any number below 8 as just not worth their investment. This also happens a lot with shows people that have ardent fans; any slight against the show is interpreted as "I don't like this show and it's bad", when really all you're doing is trying to point out that you don't think the show is perfect. On the flip-side, when a show gets super-popular, and people are constantly exposed to it whether they like it or not, there tends to be a bitter backlash from people who feel that they have to exaggerate their dislike of it to almost hyperbolic levels just to make a statement. (E.g. Sword Art Online.) I'm sure that gets under some people's skin, and I'm sure some people really do keep watching a show just to perpetually point out its (perceived) flaws. That's just the result of being in the spotlight, unfortunately.

The internet in general tends to foster this impulse to talk about what you hate a lot, not just in the anime circles. Try talking about any movie or series with vampires in it and see how long it takes for someone to mention how Twilight ruined them. Try listening to Iron Maiden or (insert older band you like here) on Youtube and see how many of the comments are about how Justin Bieber is fruity and lame.

Yes, I get it, many things suck. Now please, stop bringing them up every five minutes. I'm trying to enjoy the good stuff and you're cramping my style.