View Single Post
Old 2013-01-20, 03:13   Link #73
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
I think you prejudge some of these, which I used to do too. Some of these long titled light novels are not as bad as they seemed to be (once in a while, you get a few that touch on deeper emotions and themes alongside their slapstick comedy). And if you want to lay blame and dispense your hate, you should extend it to the group of readers who are feeding the industry, and the society which has created such a group of readers. Not to mention that what determines entertainment value to one is subjective. And what you like and enjoy might be garbage to others *shrug* Though I agree somewhat with some of your points, I won't go so far as to start becoming self-righteous on what constitutes good literature and call what others enjoy dung............ And I don't get why you are bringing galge and eroge in, I certainly don't feel anything in such books I read resembling those, all I get from those I read is a good dose of laughter and face-palming.

On a side note, Dragonlance was nostalgic. The fact that most of major stories and trilogies were written by the same authors, Margaret Weiss and Tracy Hickman, makes it very coherent and enjoyable to me. I also applaud the effort the publishers made in making FR stories coherent through the tough scrutiny on the manuscripts. Though those were the old days...... And speaking of trash, the West also have a fair amount of literature which I personally would consider trash.
I can call a horse dung a peach, but it's still a bloody horse dung.
Btw, my criticism is towards the overall direction of the market, not just the "hey I took broken sentences from speechstyle of anonymous forums and made it a title" garbage.

I've been in the Japanese otaku market and fandom longer than most here have probably been alive, and done vast amount of reading and playing. You may not find my prejudice fair, but trust me, there's a foundation for it. As for eroge, it would be a BLOODY LONG STORY if I expained it, but just take home that transition of galge writings from two decades ago found itself into the eroge industry shortly after the Doukyuusei and LVNs hit, virtually making it indistinguishable for the majority of the market. The types of talent that used to find itself into that market latched itself onto the light novel market starting in the 2000s, incorporating its style of writing. The audiences shared similar taste, which I like to dub the galge inheritence.

And in all three of those markets, stinking pile of horse manure composes vast majority the market.
If you haven't caught my drift, I'm not entirely serious with the exaggerated venom, I'm humorously calling out how crappy the whole mess of things out there is. Maybe I should use bloody more.

I'm glad Sasamoto Yuuichi (you may know him for Miniskirt Pirates/Mouretsu Pirates) is still around, he was one of the early pioneers of the market looong before it was dubbed "light novels". Hell, by many he's pretty much considered the father of the industry. The Fairy Operation series (Yousei Sakusen), IMO his best work from the mid 80s, always holds a special place in my memory.

Last edited by aohige; 2013-01-20 at 04:00.
aohige is offline   Reply With Quote