View Single Post
Old 2021-11-20, 01:51   Link #1958
darkangel0278

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi View Post
I think it's a difference in tolerance levels for what we perceive as bringing it on themselves. It also helps that I usually try to look at how they ended up that way and treat death as an absolute that should be taken seriously or treated as a punishment for the worst of crimes. And the author has shown at times a disturbing level of underestimation of said incidents like Marie's original death which consisted of being beaten to death by an abusive boyfriend, leaving behind a child.

Sergei honestly has a lot more sympathy from me because his circumstances just sucked so badly. Pulled in from a branch family to be a replacement for a dead kid who none of them got over, to where they literally show favoritism to a guy with the same name from a rival nation, he only gets involved because Leila asked for his help to find Ideal and from that point on he got showed up, manipulated, and had to be put out of his misery because super science can't help him. Meanwhile, the stalker who put a literal slave collar on Noelle is currently vying for Marie's affection and has Leon's approval.

His death was a tragedy more than anything, but you see it coming because if you are opposing Leon who is the main protagonist, either you're going to be made a joke or you're going to die. That's how the series works, even when the antagonist makes a valid point, because it loves kicking what would be normal otome protagonist actions in the groin.

For example, Leon brings up that Julius could have made Marie a concubine while marrying Angie back in the first volume. Sounds good on paper, right? Except, look at Julius' father's relationship with the Queen and realize that that's the kind of future that awaited them, one where neither would be happy with the arrangement but they are stuck with it. Very few people seemed to have realized that at the time but were instead whining that Julius turned down Angie for Marie.
Whoa totally bummed out
Never thought of it like that. In Julius' case, guess Marie did Angie a huge favor there. As for Serge, guess I got a bit sympathetic in his situation after that explanation. But still didn't Albergue and Louise at least tried to connect with Serge? Serge wanted to be loved but never tried to love his new family.

Last edited by darkangel0278; 2021-11-20 at 03:10.
darkangel0278 is offline   Reply With Quote