View Single Post
Old 2007-08-02, 20:30   Link #237
Xiaolang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
And xiaolang, I'm such a newcomer that I'm not very familiar with Hayashibara Megumi (although I just watched the first ep of the 3x3 Eyes OVA), so I know she's good. But I can imagine two fairly successful young seiyuu who like to sing feeling the same urge to break out into a larger realm, one that is better paid and more respected. In Aya's case, I have the feeling that she is really exploring herself and the world right now. And I think her agency and various producers are responding with some different things for her to try.
Megumi was very idol-like and really is prolific -- well from an historical standpoint anyway. Although Megumi was all about being a seiyuu first, she did want to try other things. Her music started out with pop, then a bit of rock, then ballads and now more adult contemporary. She's also a radio host/disc jockey, earned a nursing degree, and an author.

If you haven't read "Megumi Toons", you should, it's her autobiography in manga form (and it's translated in English). =)

(Funny little timely tidbit: Megumi was part of Arts Vision, the same agency with the sex scandals.)

Now, with Aya, she kind of rekindled my admiration for voice actors and what they are capable of outside of voice acting. I feel that many of today's voice actors just lend their voice to one character, but when the series is over, they just move on to the next role. To me, Aya IS Haruhi, much like Megumi IS Ranma AND Lina Inverse AND Faye Valentine. But of course time will tell. Maybe in another decade, Aya will become as prolific as Megumi Hayashibara is today.

Edit: LOL! Nadare, we think alike.