View Single Post
Old 2007-09-07, 23:00   Link #81
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elluh
Anybody think that its a little weird that ZAFT was able to equal the Earth Alliance?

I know that ZAFT has as many resources as the Earth Alliance does,but this is another reason of why I like UC over CE.

ZAFT should not have been able to go on as long as it did for the simple fact that they didn't have the man power(Compared to their being over a billion people on Earth).
It's not particularly weird at all. History is replete with examples of small nations defeating much larger neighbors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman
This isn't necessarily unrealistic though, as better technology has pretty much always equaled victory prior to the 20th century, though nowadays it doesn't mean jacked.
Actually, technological differences in weaponry are more pronounced, and their effects are more pronounced than any point in history. Technological advantages have often translated to decisive battlefield advantages in the past, but not to the degree that modern militaries (i.e. the U.S.) enjoy. Currently, a first world power can crush a second or third world power's military with relative impunity, provided that the limitations of power projection and logistics are glossed over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elluh
I personally still don't see how a Nation with what was it,10-100 million residents could successfully fight two major Wars within two years,and basically show mo signs of suffering at all.It's not like they even gave the Earth Alliance a chance
There are three main reasons that a country suffers from a war:
1. Long term wars drain a country's economy and saps the morale of the population.
2. Destruction of infrastructure.
3. Loss of manpower through military and civilian casualties.

Orb wasn't really at war for very long; both wars put together would probably only come up to a total of one year at war. It suffered significant infrastructural losses in the first war, but insignificant losses in the second. And the number of casualties suffered was relatively low throughout. Orb was in excellent infrastructural and economic shape at the beginning of both wars, so it wouldn't have been that hard to recover from them. If you want a real world example, the U.S. has been at war since 2002, but there are very little signs of it suffering from it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paininator
They'd have to carry a LOT of fuel in order to stay in the air, and maneuver in the air.
That's true to a degree, but it's going to also depend on how fast the exhaust vents out. The faster the exhaust, the less fuel is consumed.