View Single Post
Old 2012-10-02, 19:00   Link #869
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
I haven't encountered many who fit with either of the two views you've written about. The ones I've heard (who may be the most vocal, or just those who are echoing Romney) seem to think that we need to be asserting "American power" everywhere. If we're not there, we're not able to exert our influence, we're less able to make things go in our favor, and we're less able to stop evil from happening... or so goes the thinking, from what I can tell.
Personally, I think America should try to influence the world, there's nothing wrong with this. I think, however, that they need to be more subtle. Putting an Army into Iraq is not exactly subtle.

Facilitating democratic movements, on the other hand, is.

Also, if we look at how America can really spread it's ideals, the best way is to open up. Bring Foreigners to America for an education, let them see how we do things in the west, and why it's so great, and then let them bring those ideas back home. Likewise, we need to get our own people out into the world too. To bring beneficial foreign ideas back here. Furthermore, if more people have experience of being in a foreign country, they'll have a much better grasp of issues in other countries.

For instance, I spent a year on exchange in the US, and it had a big impact on how I thought about things. It confirmed some of my views (gun laws) and changed others (ideas on limited government, now I'm largely in favour, though I favour a less limited government then many americans...), but overall it was highly enlightening. I think this sort of thing should be done more. In fact, I think it should become like a rite of passage. A bit like Apprentices becoming Journeymen and wandering around. People need to see more of the world to get a better understanding. A big problem with America is that most Americans have never been outside America. If they're lucky they've seen Mexico (Canada doesn't count ).