View Single Post
Old 2009-04-15, 10:56   Link #107
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhonsentra View Post
I really need someone to explain what Physics sees in Honey and Clover. From what I watched it's an occasionally funny show where characters inexplicably pine after a love interest in one-sided relationships with little to no validation other than "Love at first site" for years after the expiration date. How he figures it's better than Toradora which actually takes the time to justify why the characters think and feel the way they do is beyond me.

Yeah the show was funny and had some good music (Killer opening) but the romantic angle of the show was always pretty bad. By the time the second season rolled out Yamada had moved from "Sympathetic sad girl" to "the most pathetic character in the history of anime". Goddamn girl, get a grip. At least Takemoto put some effort into finding things other than his crush to occupy his thoughts.
I guess it hit close to home. I've met people who do that, especially because I've grown up with more or less conventional people. The love at first sight angle was actually done only with Takemoto, IIRC. Mayama had grown to love Rika because of his interactions with her; Yamada was Mayama's friend even before the show started. It's better than Toradora (at least for me) because other than matters of taste, it never had the pacing issues that plagued the penultimate episodes of Toradora. But even that is a matter of taste. From where my friends and I stand, however, Honey and Clover is better.