View Single Post
Old 2010-07-08, 16:33   Link #13
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marion View Post
Not everything that has good sales automatically means its good in value. It just means it's popular. Someone might love this show to death, but others might feel differently.

Personally it isn't the most amazing series in the world to me. I enjoy it, but is it the greatest series ever created? In my opinion, it doesn't even get into my top ten favorite animes. The romance between Hitagi and Araragi is disjointed and pretty much thrown right into your face, there are characters that are not developed beyond a stereotype or a few tropes (hi Nadeko) and frankly I'm rather jaded by Shaft. They're making people pay extra money to get a finished episode, when the episode should have been finished before they decided to air it. Say what you want about other companies and their quality, but at least they air finished products while Shaft doesn't.

My ranking is based on the Bakemonogatari anime and not the series as a whole. For the entire anime, I give it a 6. While the voice actors and the script is great, there are many things that the series suffers.

1) Animation. Or lack of it. When people say that they think they're watching a slideshow it isn't just a joke. While there are moments of good fluid animation, there are many times that this element does not exist.

2) The music. Some tracks are wonderful, but a lot of tracks are just way too simple for my liking. Not saying it needs to be orchestra god-tier stuff, but some of these tracks sound like they were thrown together and composed in two minutes.

3) Emotional involvement. Again, lack of. I wasn't emotionally invested in many of the characters. Hitagi and Araragi's romance didn't interest me, maybe one or two characters actually felt realistic and sometimes the story was pushed back for the sake of some minor jokes.

I think Shaft didn't take this adaptation as seriously as they should have. Maybe they didn't expect for it to be as big of a hit as it was, but that doesn't mean much. Adaptation wise, they did excellent. But like I said, I'm judging this as an anime and not the entire series as a whole. And as an anime it was average to me. Hardly on the masterpiece level that many claim it to be. Then again, I don't think any anime I've ever watched got up to that level for me.
That's holds true for me too actually. It's not like this is my favorite series either. (that honour goes to Doraemon and I will literally fight people for this) I guess that the difference between you and other people, I mean I read your other posts and you mentioned already that to you the aired product is the finished product. I agree somewhat but no studio with the right mind would just leave the episodes with no changes when it goes to DVDs. I understand that what happened with Bake is a bit extreme but it's not like fans brought it just to get the complete episode but because they genuinely like the series. I mean with the internet and all they can easily DL the episodes if they want. These fans really wanted to support the series and Shaft.

Also, as I said already, both the Shaft and this series has their distinct "storytelling". People either love Shaft or they hate them simply because they are artsy. As for Bake its a dialog driven series with very kinky scenes, people who don't enjoy seeing 14 year old girls getting mouth raped simply would not enjoy the show.
omimon is offline   Reply With Quote