View Single Post
Old 2008-03-08, 01:59   Link #69
Jeiku

I'll step up and be among the few who say Makoto. Of all the characters in School Days I found him to be the most loathsome of course, but he is my favorite character in the series for the fact that I hadn't gotten so worked up over a lead character before until him. At the same time, I pity him in some ways because in the end, these characters were still children and not even adults. I still found him pathetic, but honestly, I wished that the anime made an effort to show us more of what Makoto was really thinking throughout this ordeal. I mean really thinking... and not just his bouts of lust. Contrary to what many have said, I always found those small moments of "feeling the worst" in some ways genuine for Makoto. While still a complete jerk in episode 12, he might have been (subtly) coming to terms with his mistakes, such as with the tea pot - touch and you get burned. I still don't believe that Makoto was outright being malicious and purposefully condescending. Even though he made no effort to change, there is still the possibility that he was vaguely aware of what he was doing.

They were all merely children, and that is what makes School Days all the more tragic for me to watch.