View Single Post
Old 2007-07-23, 19:50   Link #94
zionforsale

Hm...I don't root for Orihime's character, but I don't think she is a weak character either. Her power is indeed special, and obviously she does have some toughness in mentality, like her desire to use her ability to reject the existence of HM. The only thing that makes me not liking her is that she is too kind, to the point of typical. I understand that there is someone in a shounen manga that needs to be about love. But does she have to be such a saint? She is just fine as a dizzy, caring, feminine girl. She is definitely maturing though. She understands she is in love with Ichigo now, and she is special to him as in the fact that she is the ONLY girl in the entire series who treats Ichigo in gentleness. (I'm not supporting this pairing though!) If the author would allow her character to get tougher, it would certainly annoy less people, but I doubt it. Because Orihime is not portrayed in that way. She would always be a caring, loving figure. If she ever gets stronger, it will be her conviction of always being kind and loving that gets stronger. Hence, even more saint-like. And that saintness repels fan's sympathy toward her.

I don't really feel sorry for her. Then again, I don't think any of characters need to be felt sorry for. I do think she is a lovely person and she should not be hated at all. (What has she done to deserve ANY kind of hate??? The kids in the HM hated her because they are jealous of her -the fact that Aizen treated her like an important guess even though she is not their kind) But let's face it, it's hard to us to identify ourselves with Orihime, and not like she had some really complex emotional troubles to suffer from, or be haunted by. (Except her unrequited love for Ichigo. But it is a usual problem of any romantic girl her age.)