View Single Post
Old 2010-11-02, 15:00   Link #2152
Irisiel

I never said that the government should kill Ranka. I think they should either punish her because they found her guilty, or give the appearance of punishing her, in order to save her life from people going lynch mob on her because the justice system wont avenge their loved ones.

Basically, rational but grieving people will be satisfied with the punishment, reducing the size of the mob and the strength of the mob mentality, which in turn makes less rational, yet still sane, people leave and so on until only the nuts and those who were so extremely devastated that they don't care are left.

And those would probably mostly disperse, thus reducing the threat to Ranka.

Of course, I expect a couple of dozen or so to make a go at it, but those are easier to stop/prevent/survive than several millions of people.

If they lie and say that Ranka has no culpability whatsoever, they'll probably end up with what history will come to call the Frontier Revolution, because the damage is so great (would concern extremely many, including those working in the government) that it would be impossible to hush it all, and once the leak is out...

The problem is that Grace is dead, as are lots and lots of victims. People are asked to live alongside Vajra, that the Vajra weren't in the wrong. This builds frustration as people want to punish others when they feel hurt by others.

Go after Galaxy? Isn't Galaxy dead? Lets investigate once we are in a position to challenge them.

Go after Brera? But Frontier has banned implants possibly because they know about reprogramming and mind-control, so while he's a stranger, he is to be pitied and punished appropriately by the government. Plus, he isn't very high profile.

Go after Ranka? High profile. Ran away and left them. Visuals from last battle. But she's just a little girl. Or she looks it since she's 16-17 years old really. She didn't know. She inadvertently killed a lot of people. Ignorance is no excuse. She right here!

Basically, if someone accidentally killed your sister, and did so by unknowingly egging on known killers, wouldn't you want someone to at least put them through a trial? Even if they wont punish them? Not simply say "Oh, she just didn't know, back to regular schedule! Wanna buy a Ranka poster? Can you hear her new song from that blimp? Look at that billboard! Those kids are so cute cosplaying as Ranka, right?"

In fact, I wonder how many will feel ill at Ranka billboards, even if they don't blame her, simply because of seeing giant Ranka attacking them in battle. PTSD, anyone?

EDIT:

Certainly they can link Sheryl and Grace. But Sheryl was still the one bolstered by the government in the final battle, while Ranka only lost the "traitor" tag towards the end. Plus, everyone were allowed to watch/hear Sheryl die for them in the final battle at the same time as giant Ranka appeared. It's like commercials, sub-conscious association of things; because we've heard of the product we assume that it's trustworthy.

What I'm talking about is that if the creators want a happily-ever-after ending, they've written themselves into a corner because several of the protagonists have made themselves guilty of something that should have large repercussions. The fact that Ranka issues her statement just shows that she, and the creators, seems to be ignorant of this.

I'm currently trying to figure out where Ranka will go from here.

Last edited by Irisiel; 2010-11-02 at 15:08. Reason: justavisitor replied