View Single Post
Old 2007-02-03, 05:56   Link #139
andiyar
wingéd prettygirl
*Author

Send a message via AIM to andiyar Send a message via MSN to andiyar
@ Discerptor

Hrm, odd. I haven't had anyone completely unable to install the file yet - do you have a MPlayer OSX.app binary in your applications folder? If you do, try moving it for me and installing again; it might be that the installer package is unable to write over it if it's already present... it should, but that's the first thing that comes to mind. Otherwise, you might need to be logged in as an admin to install the supporting binaries, as they're writing to the root level of the HDD. Might also be worth a shot, if you're not running as admin.

Now, to the other fun and entertaining issue currently at hand - that of h.264 profiles over base/main in QuickTime. Yes, Apple has blundered again - when they originally included MPEG-4 (part 2) into QuickTime (6) they left out the ability to encode or decode Advanced Simple Profile, which wasn't clever. Even today, although QuickTime 7 can now decode ASP, it still can't encode it in. As for Apple's implementation of h.264/AVC, from what I recall QuickTime only has support for Baseline plus one B-frame (encoder) and Baseline/Extended/Partial Main (decoder). So nothing High Profile, and nothing fancy Main Profile.

That said, in a short while we may be able to yet again tip our hats to the Perian team, as from what I gather they're including an adaption of libavcodec into the next version of Perian that supports decoding of the spectrum of h.264 profiles. So, when they release their next version (which also rolls in matroska support, at least the container), you should be able to play fansub .mp4/h.264 files within QuickTime-enabled apps. Which, enjoyably enough, includes Front Row.

Personally, I'd like it if there was some way to enable mplayer as the playback agent for Front Row et al, but that'll never happen. Perian, though, will make grand strides in that direction, as it already has! All they need is to make matroska a reality, and put in a nice subtitle renderer, and well... who knows where it could end.

-Andiyar