Thread: Tokyopop
View Single Post
Old 2004-03-23, 09:33   Link #122
AG3
Inactive ex-WoW addict

Extreme bump, but that's ok.

I bought Tokyopop's first issue of Psychic Academy a few days ago, and after reading it I felt it was ok. But a few points in the story is a little bit strange, kinda hard to grasp properly. So I downloaded a scanlated version of it I found, and... yikes! The differences in the two translations are HUGE!!

One example is Ai's brother. While he is an honour student in the scanlation, he's the new aura teacher in TP's version.

Another one is the class where they are supposed to work with strengthening the "aura guard". In TPs version, everyone thinks Ai is awsome for taking the gym teachers attack without using his aura power, and apparently that's what the rabbit told him to do. Even the gym teacher asks him "You've been in combat before?", and some fellow students say "Awsome! You're Zero's little brother alright!". And I ask myself, "what for? Anyone could do that".

The answer is given in the scanlation. There, the teacher asks "What? You're a beginner?", and the fellow students say "That's impossible! He's the legendary boy's brother!". And the rabbit apparently wanted him to use his aura, if I interpret the sentence "think of his power as nothing" correctly.

This, and loads of other inconsistencies and differences, truly make me sceptical to the way Tokyopop seems to change the stories of the mangas they license. I think the general dialogues of TP's version are better, they sound better in English. But the accuracy might be questionable, if the scanlation is anything to go by.

It just seems so stupid that I have to read one version to get good-sounding dialogues, and another version to get the CORRECT story.