View Single Post
Old 2016-06-28, 01:12   Link #2141
Applehell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicili View Post
This to me is Emilia's character flaw. It would probably be too strong a word to say she has trust issues with people. But it is quite obvious she has trouble understanding why anyone (eg Subaru) would give her unconditional love.

It's quite evident in their argument after Subaru got his ass whooped. The points flings against Subaru are stuff like.
1. You're doing it for yourself aren't you?
2. You broke my promise so i can't trust you anymore
3. You are doing it because i'm special right?

She's having trouble understanding unconditional love, she thinks "love" or maybe say help from others always carries with it a condition.
Emilia's thinking:
1. You're helping me to benifit yourself?
2. You need to keep a promise or i can't trust you anymore
3. You're helping me because i'm princess/king candidate.

While it may not seem too obvious. I feel that Emilia's character is built around her not understanding the concept of unconditional love. It's likely she has gotten a lot of shit from people for her being half elf, looks like Satella etc. Deep down inside she is not really a believer in the intrinsic good of people. For good reasons but still.
What Emilia may be thinking about the people around her atm:

Puck: helping her because contract
Roswall: cos i'm princess
Rem and Ram: cos they work for Roswall
Beatrice: is she even a helper?
Subaru: not even sure what to think about him.

It's quite ironic that her final goal if she is to become king is to have equality for the people. The whole thing is super ironic if you think about it. The one who is talking about equality doesn't truly believe in equality. Or at least she doesn't believe its a natural thing. In her eyes, equality and respect needs to be gained with the power of kingship, it needs to be enforced, it needs to be gained with power because there is no true equality in this world. And when you use force to enforce equality. You are imposing your ideals on other people from a superior position. Doesn't it already imply that you and the other party are not true equals?

Or lets say, would she really be happy if she became king. And forced everyone to follow her ideals of equality? No, i don't think so. Because she knows that they are forced to do it and its not real.

She doesn't show it, but you can tell that in her situation, she is actually quite lonely and vulnerable and really needs people to just reassure her. Which honestly is something that Subaru really sucks at. The guy just couldn't read a clue. Out of the whole Roswall household Subaru was most likely the one she trusted the most after Puck. I think she was honest when she said that she "had high hopes of him". Who else could she rely on in that household? It's not even a matter of who has the strength to help her. Roswaal is super strong but are you going to trust him? No.

Her whole ideal of equality through kingship is flawed and she herself doesn't realize it. She doesn't need to be king. She doesn't need you to have superpowers to help protect her. Poor girl just needs a real friend man. And Subaru doesn't get it despite her being his crush. Basically a death sentence in terms of eh love. I just know that he really isn't going to get the girl like that.

Still even after all i typed i think the one who needs to take most of the blame here is still Subaru. I would probably fault Subaru more for not actually understanding Emilia AT ALL more than all his silly antics. And also arc 1&2 has really made him slightly too over-confident, which leads to him acting retarded this episode.

The SubaruXEmilia ship is just going to sink so stupid fast. Both of them just don't seem that good at understanding other people.

Rem is just better btw. So no harm done.

I generally agree. Puck actually makes some interesting remarks that lend some creditance to this particular line of thought such as fact she's no real friend outside Subaru and that she has gone though several tragedies before meeting with Roswaal. The fact she was blaffed that Subaru accepted her hertiage and appearnce so naturally is pretty telling to what her disposition to everyone that isn't Puck is normally like. It's no wonder Emilia gravitated towards him because even though she thought he was rather odd person Subaru was probably one of few people to look past fact she was half-elf who shared an appearnce to once known greatest threat to the world. I think ties in nicely to why in part she took position of wanting equality she as King, because as some who's personally suffered due to being misunderstood because of fear it's natural that she want to work towards culitavting a society of more open-minded people like Subaru.

I don't it's hopeless relationship though, especially if Subaru could eventually win over someone who once harbored enough animosty to kill him and managed to assuage said person inferiority complex to a degree. But it's going to require a change on his part this time and how he apporaches her.

Last edited by Applehell; 2016-06-28 at 02:04.