View Single Post
Old 2006-08-26, 13:27   Link #56
Eclipze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356
Call me crazy, but I've always thought pokemon could be made into a decent mmorpg if it could be done with real time battles, rather than turn based. I mean, with all the trainers you battle in the games, it's like they tried to make it a fake mmorpg to begin with.
Well, M&M IS turned based, and what makes it worst is that you have the option to let your character and monster automatically attack the monster, and you have a button that automatically engages you into a battle. Also, even if your monster does die in battle, it will automatically be revived after the battle, although at 1hp. (Who cares if your monster has high dodge rate?) That, coupled with a mouse macro, equates to a very bad mmorpg.

If by real time battles, you mean giving commands to your pet in a real time battle, then its already been done, but with digimon (Digimon world, on the psx). Of course, its not a mmorpg, so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356
You don't get a lot of exp for killing lvl 15 monsters with a lvl 19 character.
Well, unless its the broom quest or job quests, the average quest you get between 2-3 levels require you to kill monsters of that level, and they make up for about...85% of all quests in FlyFF. So you don't have to complain about constantly fighting monsters @ lower levels than you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic
What kind of whacky MMORPGs have you been playing?! The leveling in FlyFF is fucked up. And the quests... All of them are about killing monsters to get items from them. I tell ya, it's not funny to get 0.20% exp from every kill when you're only level 20 :/
Lets see...Runescape, R.O.S.E Online, RYL2 (For about 20+ levels, during free trial), FlyFF (English/Japanese), Maplestory (English/Japanese), Ragnarok online (private server), Conquer(?) online (Played for 5 levels and quit because the game was basically botter's paradise), Monster and Me (Reasons for quiting listed above), Renewal (A mmorpg that was managed by Singapore, no longer exists now.), Dark Eden, Ran Online, KAL Online, Gate to Heaven, Knight Online, MU Online, Silkroad (which I currently play).

If case you don't know, Flyff was originally created by the Koreans, and Korean-created mmorpgs are known to have insane leveling rates. And yes, most of the quests ARE about getting quest drops/killing X amount of monsters. As of now, majority of the mmorpgs that you see online (meaning games that are F2P and have cash shop functions) are translated korean mmorpgs.

The only reason that I can see why you are complaining about the leveling rate of FlyFF is that you are not the average mmorpg gamer. The act of "grinding", which just about ANY mmorpg experienced person should know about, requires you to have the patience of spending an entire day, for weeks and months, killing monsters to gain experience, and nothing else. Getting 0.2% per kill is considered FAST by many people's standards.

You would probably say "I have a life, unlike those Koreans/Japanese", but in the end, thats the way it works. The only reason GW has fast exp rates is because:
1) There is only a total of 20 levels, with grinding only used for getting skill points, or so I heard.
2) Unlike MOST mmorpgs, GW is basing itself as a PVP game rather than "In the battle of level XX vs level XX, and the higher level will most definately win unless the lower level has godly items and the higher level doesn't." Your level doesn't matter in GW, skills and how you execute/time them is.

So yea, I really don't see why leveling in FlyFF is "fucked up".
Eclipze is offline   Reply With Quote