View Single Post
Old 2013-02-02, 08:21   Link #68
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qilin View Post
Let me clarify what I meant when I said that:

Makishima is essentially a person who has disconnected himself from the material reality. He is single-mindedly dedicated to that one ideal that he strives to achieve with all his power. He cares about absolutely nothing else but that goal, not Sybil, not society, and most certainly not human life.
Well, I honestly think you're misinterpreting Makishima here. I think it's very clear that he cares about Sybil (i.e. he sincerely wants to rid the world of it).

I also don't think he has just one single-minded goal. I think he has multiple goals, or at least hopes. Yes, he hopes to rid the world of Sibyl. However, I think a big part of him is also hoping that Kogami figures out his plan so he can have a thrilling challenge (and, perhaps a meeting of the minds) with Kogami.

So I don't think that Makishima is all about any one lone thing. I think he's more complex than that.

Quote:
So yes. As abhorrent and potentially destabilizing it all is, in my eyes, there is no purer intention than the single-minded pursuit of knowing and the beauty that comes with it.
Why would this be any "purer" than any other single-minded pursuit? Is it more or less "pure" than a person who devotes his life to some sort of political ideal?

Quote:
After all, even the great tower of information that humanity has built-up over the years was originally a product of the simple desire to know and understand the world with little regard for humanity's interests.
I don't think that's accurate. Much scientific research, and certainly numerous inventions, were all about high regard for humanity's interests. For example, many cures were discovered not out of some desire to "know things" for the sheer sake of knowing things, but out of a more practical desire to help people combat a horrible disease.