View Single Post
Old 2011-07-06, 07:32   Link #122
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Well, I agree with you about Tohru - there's just not enough smoke there and the clock is ticking fast. If that's even going to elevate to the level of a misdirection, never mind a serious development it's going to have to start pretty damn quick.
Still a dozen episodes left. That's practically an entire series for shorter anime. And we're going to need to have more exposition episodes on Minchi/Tohru anyway. And there's been plenty of momentum between interactions between Tohru/Ohana/Minchi to let something dramatic to develop between them.

Quote:
Frankly, while no two Okada series are alike you've summed it up pretty well with the last sentence of your first paragraph. You can go down the laundry list of her series at ANN or MAL and I don't think you'll find a single one that had an unexpected romantic twist at the end that resulted in a surprising pairing. Admittedly some of those series are adaptations, so one can assume that unless the series had an anime-original ending it was the original author who decided how the story would conclude. But there's a long list to go on - TT, Toradora, AnoHana, Gosick (which did have an anime-original end), Hourou Musuko... It's either the obvious pairing or no pairing at all. I haven't seen every single series she was the lead writer on so I may have missed the exception that proves the rule.
Indeed. Of course then the real question at this point isn't Okada's previous writing tells us about how preferences in couples. The real question is what Okada's previous writing tells us what she thinks about Ohana and Ko's interaction? That's the real million dollar question.
Quote:
It just seems obvious that there's a lot of thinly veiled character-bashing in this thread posing as analysis (and I'm not singling you out here). If the agenda is to bash the character, just come right out and admit you're speaking from the heart...
Well to be fair. I don't actually hate Ko or feel a need to bash him. I've mentally categorized him out of the romantic interest and into a plot foil to give the anime a somber/sentimental when Ohana and Ko separate. In that light he's not badly constructed.

However...I probably relate to people who openly hate Ko more than I do people who somehow think he's some smooth operator/gods gift to women. Not in that I share their hatred, in that I understand their complaints better. Ko is something that DOES kind of stand aside from the characters/themes that you see at Kissiou. In a series that is only short of openly praising taking intelligent initiative in work with all your energy and the importance of the trivial domestic interactions with the people around you, Ko stands as an anomaly.

As a character, given what the writer has done with him so far, Ko only make sense to me when you look at him like a time capsule. Ko is a vessel for memories of Ohana before she developed into another person when she went to live on the alien planet Kissiou prime (although it could be argued that she has always been a dislocated Kissiou'n, and that she was an alien in Tokyo). Ko's purpose is to come to the Alien planet of Kissiou prime near the end of the series and realize more dramatically than anyone that Ohana has sprouted a forehead ridge, blue skin and has gone native.