View Single Post
Old 2012-09-21, 02:41   Link #673
Hemisphere
見習い魔剣使い

Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
Err, you are looking for something to read? If you are looking for something easy to read and not particular about somewhat weird poetic prose and an occasional rambling style, you can try "Densetsu no Yuusha no Densetsu" and "Itsuka Tenma no Kuro Usagi (btw, don't judge this by its anime which is nearly completely different)". They are as easy to read as it can get. The former is a medieval fantasy while the later is a high school fantasy. Both are by the same author and have similar themes: ie. Going Through a REALLY BIG Amount of Crap and Overcoming Despair. Story-wise, they are still among the top few in my list (and I think I read a fairly large number of light novels and novels as well, though I'm a sucker for fantasies). Characterizations-wise, Denyuuden is really one of the top for me, with many, very strong characterizations even in its supporting cast (and please do not read the wiki about it or you will be massively spoiled). Denyuuden is always good and Itsuten will take a few volumes to build. Because the author, Kagami Takaya, wrote the stories based on his personal life experience with despair, they can trigger a lot of emotions at times. Well worth investing your time into both, I'd say.

EDIT: I just remembered I have reviewed it on BT before. You can read my Denyuuden review (with very minor spoilers) here. Which reminds me, I need to do one for Itsuten some day. Actually, after re-reading my own review, I found it to be pretty epic all over again LOL .
I've read a bit of DenYuuDen before, and I quite liked it myself! I'm just scared at how many books there are of DenYuuDen out there. I'm definitely going to give this one a shot (and I must thank you profusely for having brought it back to my attention) but that's going to be after I scrounge up enough money to buy them all. Itsuten...it sounds interesting, but personally speaking I'm rather tired of stories taking place in high school settings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whsie View Post
I give it my full rec'. That said, don't go in looking for a super powered MC. It's the plot and politics that are interesting.
Gotta put it on my to-read-list. I like intriguing politics, not to mention that after Hagure Yuusha, I'm completely sick of overpowered characters who are too lazy to put in any real effort even in fighting.