Thread: Licensed Negima Manga Discussion
View Single Post
Old 2012-05-30, 12:06   Link #8497
OverMaster
Zok, Biff, Pow, Wham.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
And, again, calling this occasion alone mental rape is hypocrisy. Your interpretation of claiming this to be mental rape while all those times that the girls get stripped (many of those times including tears in their eyes by the way) are not or excusing them is just hypocricy. It's a manga that has been joking with sexual harassment since the first chapter. This is really just more of the same. Both Negi and the girls have been harassed to the point of tears hundreds of times by now. It's half of what the entire series is build on.

And I don't disagree that Chizuru's character development is stalled or that this arc derailed the character of many characters. I agree on that, just scroll back a page and you can see that I'm quite of the opinion that this arc was a waste of pages. I'm just saying that calling this event rape, in any form, is just making a mountain of a molehill and really undeserving of all this flak when there are much, much worse things about the ending.

So, again, do I think the scene was a waste of space and character derailment? Yes. Do I think it warrants being called rape? No.
Why do you keep pretending I'm only talking about physical rape when I'm mostly meaning mental rape? You know the difference between both things, right? And Chizuru's actions were an attempt to take over a child's mind and force him to do something against his will. Despite the fact he was suffering over it, the fact they had no right to force that private information out of him, and the fact they were old enough to know better.

That's mindrape. You can make a good case for it not being physical rape with Akamatsu's copout of the artifact actually not going up Negi's rectum, but the imagery was still there. Being stripped is one thing, but the image, even if implied and not really true, of rectal impalement is another altogether. Although I agree there are far worse things about the ending.