View Single Post
Old 2009-08-22, 00:50   Link #158
Airman8
Helvetica Standard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
I seem to recall Haruhi being able to read Kyon's mind being a valid question from before. Especially with the "2mg of confidence" line.
I always took this as a quirk of Tanigawa's writing, or Kyon's storytelling, however you want to look at it. It's often very unclear, especially in the novels, whether Kyon is actually saying his thoughts out loud, whether he's not saying anything at all and his expression gives it away (the tree scene in Live a Live is a great example), or whether he is just mumbling to himself and Haruhi gets an inkling of it.

I think it's a creative way on Tanigawa's part to work the chemistry between Haruhi and Kyon through this unreliable narration. They seem to have insight into each other without always having to say anything. You notice how much Kyon actually does think about Haruhi, even if he doesn't seem to realize it himself. I've seen people doubting Kyon's feelings for Haruhi, but I think his constant remarks about her pouting her lips like a duck (among other animals) show it very well.