View Single Post
Old 2007-06-21, 11:32   Link #21
Whitemoon648
Sawa-Chan <3 <3 <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakult View Post
So as another year comes to a close... specifically my junior year, I've been thinking about colleges to a certain point where it's the only thing I care about. I've been running around Google looking for blogs, acceptance posts, and other things so that I could compare my current high school achievements to others and make myself feel better even though I'm sure I have no chances for schools such as Stanford.

So anyways, I'm going to describe what I've "achieved" in high school so far and I was hoping you guys could tell me what kind of colleges would be available to me? I mean I'm still going to apply for my dream schools although I'm sure I'll be flat out rejected. (and please don't laugh at my grades :P I'm sure theres people way smarter than me on this forum (: )

Spoiler for High School Profile:

My main worries are that my GPA is too low.. although my transcript shows immense improvement since my Sophomore year. Another thing that bothers me is that apparently colleges look for dedicated in one's extracurricular activities (Especially schools like Stanford!). Lastly, I hear of other students who get awarded grip loads of awards, yet I only have one -real- award... Do I even stand a chance to be accepted to a school such as Stanford? or should I stick to universities such as USC/UCLA?

End of whine fest =|
You are in preaty good shape. But its not 100 percent chance to get accpeted, But still a really good chance if you keep it up in your senior year. Basically write a good essay in your aplication and that will help alot. I had a 3.87 GPA with almost the same amount of classes as you ( alot less extra activity than you though) and didnt get accepted.

I had a friend who has a 3.3 but he was in public speeches and had tons of extra activities and got accepted.

I would recommend you when you write your application essay to check it with many people and ask for their opinion. It is always good to show them that you have leader capabalities too. In your senior year you should join a club and try to run for president. That will increase your chances of getting accepted even more.

If all failed and you didnt get accepted to UCLA or USC, Then just go to a community college. Take 1 or 2 years worth of classes, get 3.6+ GPA and you can get accpeted easilly ( you can save some money too this way). Many of my friends got accepted for UCLA and USC but took 2 years of community college to save money and just transferred those units.

One last advice. Know what major and profession you want to have. From that check the UCLA web site for related majors for that profession and see what are the rate of acceptance for each specific major. Just chose the major that has the higher rate of acceptance and that will also increase your chances of getting accepted.

Any ways good luck.