View Single Post
Old 2004-10-17, 04:48   Link #22
lamer_de

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www-user.tu-chemnitz.de/~noe/Video-Zeug/containers.pdf
A very common myth is that AVI can’t handle variable bitrate audio streams,
and that MP3-VBR-in-AVI is a hack. Don’t believe everything people claiming
other containers to be more modern are trying to tell you. Virtually every
video stream you’ll find in AVI files has variable bitrate, and seeking works
fine. The same method for seeking (= frame-wise seeking) can be used on
variable bitrate audio streams, if the duration of one frame is constant, as it
is the case for MP3 or AAC (or HE-AAC).
So, now we got one document that says it's a bad hack and one it's no hack at all. I often reencode 160 or 192kbit CBR/VBR to 112kbit VBR. Anime episodes are not music video clips or movies that feature 5.1 digital surround sound (at least your usual raw doesn't). It's mostly speech and some bg music. I never ever encounted any problems when playing back vbr mp3 in avi, although I only own a windows box, but to my knowledge, basically every os including dvd-players with divx-playback compatibility can handle it flawlessly. As mentioned in the document, you might get problems when you edit the video/audio, but usually youre not supposed to do that. And if you want to, there are several tools that can handle vbr mp3 just fine. If you have vbr audio, using a simple direct stream copy in vdubmod will work without any problems. I reencode because it saves some space. If you can tell the difference between 128cbr and 112vbr, hat's off to you. I can't, so that's why I'm using it. Of course, if you encode to 233MB like all those GSD subs, reencoding audio gives so little space advance it's not worth it. If you encode to lower filesizes like 110 or 145MB, I believe it's of use though.

CU,
lamer_de