View Single Post
Old 2012-08-08, 07:53   Link #891
blaze0041
a.k.a. Flammenkrieg
*IT Support

I got my copy of the Blu-ray limited edition of the movie in the mail yesterday, so I figured I would share my thoughts about it...
  • The main shock for me was the weight of the package: 1.1kg/2.43lbs! Most of the weight would be from the massive book...
  • ...containing the storyboard for the entire movie. Its thickness is about three BD cases stacked on top of each other. It's interesting to see the amount of work that goes into an animated film, and how films in general are conceptualised and planned out.
  • The LE also includes two smaller booklets. One is presumably a replica of the ones given to moviegoers, with an intro to the series, character and staff bios and some interviews. This booklet also lists various K-On! merchandise for sale, some collaborations with other companies for the movie's promotion (such as USJ, Lotteria, Lawson, Denny's, Banpresto, etc.), and a message from kakifly, the creator of the series.
  • The other booklet contains concept art/character sheets for the movie. I coulda sworn some pages were uploaded somewhere around here... You do get to see just how short the main five are in comparison to the English locals.
  • Inside the BD case, aside from the two discs, is a bunch of other goodies. There's two small double-sided inserts with the sheet music for "Tenshi ni Fureta yo!" for the older four, with little scribbles on each of them; giving them each some character (e.g. Yui's one has fake eraser markings all over it, with a small sketch of Azunyan; whilst Mio's is extremely neat, and so on). A set of replica limited version movie tickets are also included. Finally, there's five "photos" of HTT performing at the Japan Pop Culture Expo in London.
  • Of course, disc 1 contains the movie itself, with Japanese subtitles, as well as a selection of five audio options: the standard 5.1ch and 2.0ch audio tracks, and three commentary tracks.
  • All the extras are on disc 2: it has the non-credit versions of the opening and closing credits, and the various trailers and commercials used to promote the movie. Other extras include a video of the director going to London to sightsee for the movie, an interview with the voice actresses, a look at the K-On! promo tie-in with USJ's 10th anniversary back in November last year and other videos surrounding the staff involved.
  • (A little disappointed that inserting the discs into my PS3 showed up merely as "BDMV", rather than a picture with the name of the movie a la Avatar and Inception. Perhaps it's a region issue? The movie BDs themselves are region free though, unlike the DVDs, which are locked to Region 2.)
  • Since I bought mine from CDJapan (aka Neowing Corp.), I also got a mousepad as well, pictured with the five HTT members wearing their attire from the London sushi bar performance.
  • All in all, looking at all the stuff that's bundled in this package, I'm not surprised by how well it's selling (last I checked, the BD LE has sold about 104600 copies). For the fans, it's very much a must-have collector's item.
(If people want, I can upload a few pictures of the contents, but I did a bad job of the photography )