View Single Post
Old 2009-09-18, 12:44   Link #1839
Narona
Emotionless White Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by roriconfan View Post
Anyway, all attempts at enforcing state atheism are as of yet a failure. Religion is indeed a personal thing anyone should keep for himself. It should be taught in school but it should include all religions in order to help the student choose his/hers.
In public schools, I really think France is an example to follow. The laïcité/secularism in public schools should be something normal imo. The result is (beside when there are some rare problems) no discrimination towards the religious or non-religious people at schools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy
That is an idealistic view. In reality, if one does not confront the people harassing you and spreading lies, those falsehoods will continue to spread. Also, how often have you seen atheists confront religious people on the street, compared with the reverse? How many atheist stands have you seen in the streets? (I see crazy evangelists constantly in the subway and sidewalks in NYC. "You're all sinners!" Fuck that, when did I commit any crime?)
I don't know how it is in the US, but don't take it as an example about the whole world. In France, there are many believers who are nice and so, won't annoy you.

In France, nowadays there are more atheists/agnostics than believers. It happens that there are atheists who denigrate believers, even the ones who don't annoy anyone. It's not a myth here.
Narona is offline   Reply With Quote