View Single Post
Old 2011-01-25, 23:52   Link #1
Kokujin-kun
born black and born poor
*Fansubber

How Crunchyroll Can Beat The Rippers

As you all may know, Crunchyroll, Inc. has been plagued by certain groups that will not be named in this post that rips their subtitles for their featured animes almost immediately after they post them on the website. However, I believe they've just figured out a way to beat those rip-and-run groups at their own game.

Here's exhibit A. This is from the recently aired third episode of "Mitsudomoe: Zouryouchuu" which was simulcasted on Crunchyroll this past weekend and was immediately pirated by certain groups. Describing how this scene happened will take too long, so I'll just say Futaba, the one lifting the skirt, was looking for some panties for that boy, Shinya. Even on this very forum there are people who are surprised that the dark-haired girl, Hitoha, does not wear any panties. But is it the right translation?

Spoiler for picture:

Well the original Japanese line from whence that translation came was 履いてないのをだよっ!! ("haitenai no wo dayo!" source: Mitsudomoe manga Vol. 3, ch. 40) Now, it's true that "haitenai" means "not wearing" but what about the "no"? Well, all of you Japanologist are free to correct me any time, but "no" is a particle that, among other things, connects a modified noun with its appositive (sensei no hon = teacher's book), acts as a dependent indefinite pronoun (watashi wa ookii no wo mimashita = I saw a big [something]), or is used as a sentence-ending particle that indicates an explanation or an emotive (anata wa yasashii no = you are kind). It appears that the translator has chosen to recognize the "no" as a sentence ending particle that indicates the declaration that someone is "not wearing," and the object not being worn that we can infer from that spectacle are the panties. And obviously the subject is Hitoha.

However, we also have an extra particle "wo" which indicates that the preceding noun or phrase is the object of which an unspoken verb acts upon. That means "haitenai no" is the object of the sentence, which would make the "no" in that object a dependent indefinite pronoun that points to the word "panties." In that case, "haitenai" would be a describing word for the word "panties" not for Hitoha.

So from that analysis, "haitenai no wo dayo" should be translated to "The panties not being worn!"

How do you know this is right? Look at Exhibit B:

Spoiler for picture:

This is the scene that happens immediately after the fact. Futaba does say "silly me" (ukkari ukkari) as she searches the drawer for extra pairs of underwear nobody is wearing. How would it make sense for her to react that way if Shinya says "She's not wearing any!" But if he says "the panties you're not wearing!" it would make perfect sense.

But is this the work of inept translating? I thought so too, before thinking about it more deeply. I mean Crunchyroll can just change the scripts to their streams anytime they want and no one will be the wiser, so why not stream the rough translations long enough for the rippers to take them, then later stream the correct translations? It's pretty much almost foolproof, except for those who watch the initial streaming. Of course the rippers might catch on and adjust accordingly. But in any case I applaud their ingenuity. Those who watch the Crunchy rips now think Hitoha secretly goes around commando while people who actually paid for the streams will still think she's just a normal 12-year-old who hides under desks, reads dirty magazines, and gives off a death aura.

It is the perfect troll

Last edited by Kokujin-kun; 2011-01-26 at 02:40.
Kokujin-kun is offline   Reply With Quote