View Single Post
Old 2013-01-04, 20:18   Link #89
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
Only because you can't compare it with the social constructs you live in doesn't mean it's impossible. It's this same one track thinking that denied every commodity we now take for granted because it went against the "traditional wisdom" of the time. And yet here we are...
You're comparing apples and oranges, though. (Also what "every commodity"? We've had many of those for a long time, just not in the exact same way due to various reasons such as scientific development, etc.) What you're expecting them to do is not just apply some changes in their lifestyle, it's deciding to throw away something's been engraved in them for thousands of years of human civilization, and millions of years of human evolution, to discard something that's integral to human nature as we know it... and for what exactly? (I mean, supposing that it was even possible.)

Quote:
They can basically control the weather and create their own little space. All those things become trivial.
No, they can't? It's not like they have the superpower of "I can do whatever I want"... For one, it's not like everyone has the same amount of power and talent. You're drawing conclusions based on watching special people do special things. But as we've seen before, not everyone is like them, most people are not on their level. Which leads to point two, what do you intend to do with people like Reiko who can't control their power? Three, it's not like they can use their power in any way they like, it needs concentration and it affects the user's mental and physical state. (Remember how Satoru was barely able to stand after using so much of his power?) And four, a single gouma or akki would basically turn your theory upside down.

Quote:
As for the whole "human civilization" argument, frankly I think we all should be a little bit more humble about it. Who's to say if history went some different way we wouldn't have seen an even more technologically and socially advanced civilization then what we have now.
But it didn't go a different way... And fyi I'm not talking about "our" civilization, I'm talking about "humans staying humans" in general.

Quote:
You don't have to. The idea is of re-inventing their common sense. Just as you don't drown yourself into a well, don't cover yourself in fire and all that, the common sense here would be don't form permanent groups.
This is the kind of thinking that makes sense on paper, but falls apart when you try to apply it to real life...

Quote:
Technically the people that form groups would just end up dieing because of fiends or karma demons.
Because... why exactly? o_o) And what guarantees that solitary people won't snap and seek out other people and murder them out of sheer paranoia? (I mean, the society you're suggesting is based on "OMG DON'T COME NEAR ME, DO YOU WANT TO KILL ME") And that's just an example.

Quote:
Like I keep saying, I only gave this as an example to illustrate the problem, but so you don't think I'm ignoring your other questions there, (just as an example) master = parent, ritual duels (as many people as you like), every child gets raised by one of the parents, technically they could just stay with their master until he found some wife somewhere. Never thought about the team up part, who knows, guess you team up could just be considered a violation and you'd be marked for death by everyone else.
But by all this you're describing a community. People bound by commonly accepted rules to facilitate life (in whatever way), social interaction... And in any case, the entire thing falls apart the moment someone says "to hell with this, I do whatever I want". (To, again, say nothing of akki and gouma. Or the death feedback and aggression limiter.) If the people are sane enough to have ritual duels and master/pupil relationships and such it's a no-brainer that people would realize that teaming up would put them in advantage.

Quote:
Hunting; farming is semi-inefficiency anyway in that kind of society. You really think they can't make their own clothes? You don't heal the sick—though I guess they could tend to each other after combat or something. Nobody is responsible, but if anyone manages, then that would imply they manage to solve all the karma demon and whatnot.
As for farming and such, not really, what do you think they use the bakenezumi for? And as for hunting, good luck going out on your own and finding a prey animal that's trying to hide from you. And no, the akki and gouma issue wouldn't be solved by this, what makes you think that?

And you say "they manage to solve"... who are "they"? Again you're describing something that wouldn't happen without some sort of cooperation.