View Single Post
Old 2006-01-19, 14:36   Link #14
Ambience Blue
Fate/Stay Delight

Seeing as how Lai's avatar depicts the rather fun 2-aminopropylbenzene (correct me if I'm wrong), I feel compelled to represent the science-nonfiction readers among us.

Currently reading:

Lenny Guarente's Ageless Quest -- An MIT researcher's investigations into isolating a gene which prolongs youth.
Though not particularly well-written from a literary viewpoint, the book provides an interesting overview of the way current scientific methods function in modern-day genetics. I recommend it for anyone who's interested in learning more about the way biologists work, as well as for armchair scientists wanting to know about the latest developments in the field. For one, Guarente does a good job simplifying the issue, though certain technical aspects can't be overlooked. B++ (shamelessly ripping off Catgirls )

Sherwin Nuland's How We Die: Reflections on Life's Final Chapters -- I must admit, I'm not entirely unbiased since I took a class from Dr. Nuland in the past, but this is truly a brilliant and inspiring text. Nuland is not just a physician, but a true humanist, and he boldly faces the concept in both biological and spiritual directions through his own experiences with death around him. I haven't made too much headway yet, but I highly recommend this to anyone with serious questions about what the Hippocratic tradition has to say about the end. A+

Akhil Amar's America's Constitution: A Biography I may as well throw a bit of a liberal-arts flair into this. Fantastically-written, Amar basically takes everything you learned about our Founding Fathers and the Law of the Land in the US and tears it apart with laser-like precision. He then remolds it into a greater, grander vision of the United States Consititution, instilling readers with a truly respectful view of the document. I heartily recommend this document for all Americans and for those interested in a highly in-depth look at United States Contitutional law. A+
Ambience Blue is offline   Reply With Quote