View Single Post
Old 2012-09-24, 11:05   Link #101
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpiopt View Post
this ending makes no fucking sense the only thing i can compare to was the original Mass Effect 3 ending
And people complained about seed destiny ending, this is way worse
I would disagree. Destiny's finale was very similar in that it featured a character stepping up to be the villain out of nowhere, but it's final episode was even more rushed and full of battles of dubious consequence and intrigue. You had Athrun very quickly defeating Shin and Kira doing the same to Rey both using stock footage and Kira just fires this volley of missiles at a space fortress several 100 times the size of his own unit which somehow causes it to start sinking and crash into the moon. The captain of the ship goes to the main villain of the show and sacrifices herself with him for no good or even logical reason while the sole closure Shinn gets is to cry together with his I guess girlfriend on the moon never really having come to any realization about why he was a fool. At least the Asunos got some closure out of this one.

Also at least this episode has a character at long last coming to a realization about who he really wants to be. Yeah it's basically him realizing that he should stop being an asshole and just be a decent person when he has defenseless people at his mercy, but it's something that Shinn never really accomplished if you want to make a comparison. So while not a good finale I'd definitely say it's a lot better than Seed Destiny's at least.

And really I think this idea that AGE is "worse than Destiny" has to be recency bias and the Gundam Cycle at work and not to mention people just not remembering how nonsensical the narrative was by the time it ended. AGE has quite a few things that don't add up (Ezelcants plan, Kio's stubborn refusal to fight under any circumstances even when it means his comrades will end up dying, Zera Grins existence, Fram's sacrifice, ), but many that do (Zehearts foolish end, Flit becoming a savior, Kio finally using the full potential of the Gundam FX) than don't in my estimation whereas Destiny was the king of time wasting, clip shows, stock footage and just general boredom for the last 3 quarters of it's run and I literally felt nothing watching it's finale, whereas at least this episode had a good scene for Flit that made the first half work well enough. Destiny episode 50 is almost inconceivable to top in terms of poor production and writing for a finale. To me the original Seed is a better comparison as to the quality of AGE. Lot of copying old storylines, some bizarre character interactions and purposes some of which could be solved easily through better decision making and dialogue, but otherwise enough to like to at least make the watch feel worth it in the end even with all the ups and downs. I'd never rewatch either, but I don't regret watching either like I did Destiny.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote