View Single Post
Old 2009-12-05, 15:06   Link #4319
vendredi

Good catch on Sakutaro's death, there's another logical loophole there.

Also I agree that a subway system connecting the island and the mainland certainly does feel like a cop-out. A subway/tram system that only connects locations on the island though certainly would keep the island in a "closed room" scenario though - it's just faster to get around and explains some time discrepancies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by "ijriims
If Maria had someone like Battler to care for her as a brother, she would not suffer and hate her mom so much now. If Maria was not suffering this much, she would not hate Rosa so much and deem the Ushiromiya family as fractured so deeply, then she would not say to Maria to take her to the Golden Land and held a trial over Ushiromiya family. She loved the Ushiromiya family but at the same time loathe at it. She knew the current plan could not be stopped now. She promised Maria to bring her to the Golden Land, and to accomplish this, she had to execute the plan she prepared long ago. Unlike Battler, Beatrice kept her promises, even though she knew she could stop right now.
This is possibly the most complete motive behind Beatrice I've seen so far, and ties together all the disparate strands - Maria's connection to Beatrice, Battler's sin, and the motives behind destroying the Ushiromiya family - in a fairly complete way.

From a pro-fantasy standpoint it's pretty satisfactory as an explanation, although I don't think it gels completely as an anti-fantasy position - that is, if you believe that the culprit was a human in the guise of "Beatrice". I suppose in a sense you could say that meta-Beatrice is taking responsibility for the actions of the "true culprit" in order to fulfill her promise to Maria?

The whole meta-world/game-board divide is pretty headspinning.
vendredi is offline   Reply With Quote