View Single Post
Old 2013-03-21, 20:57   Link #101
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warm Mist View Post
This is a new point for discussion, so let's go with this. I disagree here. The audiovisual quality of anime is still highly variable.
For the first several weeks of Little Busters' anime adaptation, there was weekly and frequent complaining over the animation in LB. I really don't think that LB the anime would have received that sort of response if the exact same show aired back in 2006.

I've watched LB since it started, and I continue to now, and its animation quality has never struck me as particularly worthy of criticism.

Quote:
Moreover, the visual quality in regards to backgrounds, art direction and photography has clearly changed, but whether or not it has improved from the analog era is a matter of taste. In the framework of modern digital productions, only a handful of shows can be said to make effective use of the available tools, and a great deal of TV shows feature uninspired and lazy choices. Not counting downright offensive stuff like Angel Beats.
I personally felt that Angel Beats! looked and sounded very nice. Mind you, that's going off of a fading memory - I haven't watched Angel Beats! since it finished airing.

However, when people heavily criticize the visuals in Angel Beats! is when I start to feel lost when it comes to evaluating animation quality. Like I don't have "the eye" and/or the training necessarily to judge animation. I've seen Angel Beats! get bashed a lot for its animation quality, and honestly, I don't know why people consider it so bad. In contrast, when people criticize an anime's writing quality, I at least "get" what they're saying, even if I don't agree with it.

Maybe it would help if people could point towards a particular sequence in Angel Beats! where the animation was noticeably bad.