View Single Post
Old 2009-03-04, 12:26   Link #11
Slice of Life
eyewitness

Déjà vu , déjà vu, ...

Feb. 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980 View Post
The anime industry in Japan is in its late "bubble" stages.
Be forewarned - it'll pop soon, much like the economy did in 1990.
Nov. 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab View Post
The fanbase bubble has finally burst.
Feb. 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
The Threat of a Animation Bubble Burst.
That said quoted ...

Sazae-san, Miyazaki, and otaku-oriented anime are three totally different worlds under the very wide and thus basically meaningless umbrella "animation". It's like Boing considering to build cars because some poll found out that more people buy cars instead of a 707.

And for the protocol, I'm not interested in Sazae-san and Ponyo was only a shadow of former Miyazaki glory. BTW, American digital animation makes a lot more money than hand-drawn Ponyo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
"The industry will also have to evolve in response to the true needs of their viewers like us."
A sentence so wonderfully general that it applies to any industry at any time. Although "have to think outside of the box" still beats it as a platitude.

Point is, a thousand viewers have a thousand different ideas what their true needs (a bit strong perhaps?) are. I for once hope the anime industry is not going after some ¥15 billion trillion fata morgana and does not forget that anime is a niche medium. If you want to become more popular you have to become more mainstream. But if I wanted mainstream I wouldn't bother with anime and download some Dexter instead.