View Single Post
Old 2008-04-26, 09:42   Link #43
TakCWAL
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
What truly is crap, is Japanese anime companies making multiple anime series using the SAME characters but only changing bits about their pasts... Tenchi OVA, Tenchi Universe and Tenchi in Tokyo anybody?
At least Tenchi maintained their connection to each other with more justification than the scrambled egg that is Robotech! AND, at least Tecnhi isn't about slicing and dicing footages, its original creative work. Robotech is anything BUT. I cannot believe HG would defend a show they did not create, and then proceed to downplay its original production staff. They weren't even listed in the original credits (ie. character design by Haruhiko Mikimoto, who happen to be one of my favorite artists)!

There was absolutely NOTHING of originality to be noted in HG's effort. What HG exercised was about the worst practice of capitalism I have ever seen.

And just for your information, I am no Tenchi fan.

Quote:
I know it's lame, but they had to bridge the gap between series somehow...
What? Do you expect him to stay a fighter jock for 20 years?
Except that role had always intended to be passed onto Misa (or Lisa for some), who had the proper military education and the etiquettes to carry out that function! Even Robotech does not make an alteration to her military education nor the story's intention for her to be a captain of sorts. Rick on the other hand, had never ever commandeered a spaceship beyond the size of fighters! Nor was he trained to handle anything bigger than a squadron!

As glyph stated, they wrote off Hikaru in the absolute worst manner and the most off-character fashion possible! A single line pretty much destroyed his character. And he is right on the spot about HG not knowing DIDDY-JACK about Mospeda.

Bottom line: If it doesn't make sense, it doesn't make sense!

Quote:
Except that when it aired in 1985 it was right in so many things and helped start the anime boom in North America (before Akira kicked it into overdrive!)
Except it initiated nothing more than a fad, just like your Astro-boy, Voltron, Speed Racer and others before it. Anime in the US lay dormant for a very long time from the 80s until the late 90s (sure, there was Sailor Moon, but that didn't do much to enhance anime's popularity). Then, suddenly, out of the blue came... POKEMON.

Not until very recently do we see an explosion of anime goods in the United States, and it is very debatable how much that has to do with a show aired decades ago. It certainly had more to do with lil' monsters that fit in your pockets.

- Tak

Last edited by TakCWAL; 2008-04-26 at 10:05.
TakCWAL is offline   Reply With Quote