View Single Post
Old 2010-01-29, 13:32   Link #26
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Its not "FUD" if they're simply listing the DRM "features" of a device and objecting to them. Buyers should have that information to decide whether they think the crippling is worth it or not.

And.... you say no company should have the right to prevent you from jailbreaking. I agree with you but hey... its currently *illegal* to do so thanks to DRM laws and they can brick you at will should they feel like it.

The google issues and cloud computing privacy issues are generalized problems with all communications and computing trends so iPad is no different in that regard.
It's always FUD if it's an anti-Apple statement to an Apple fanboy, but that's neither here nor there.

I'm hardly an Apple hater. I like OSX, and I like Apple hardware, especially (previous generation) iPods and current-gen Macbooks. I think the iPod Touch is a wonderful piece of kit and could really give the NDS and PSP a run for their money if Apple got serious about making it a handheld gaming device.

The issues with the iPad to most of us exist largely because we're power users. We want flexibility. We want options. We do not want restrictions. We want power. More casual users of electronics may find the iPad perfectly suitable for their needs, but we do not.

As I read on Notebookreview's forum, Apple's behavior with the iPad is pretty laughable, though. "Netbooks are slow and restrictive! So here, use this slate that's even slower and even more restrictive!" (And before anyone claims that the OS on the iPad makes it faster than a netbook, try installing CrunchBang, Puppy Linux or Damn Small Linux on a netbook with a good SSD... you'll be surprised!)

Still don't understand netbook hate. Even though I'm still using an old eeePC 900HD, modern netbooks are wonderful. I really want to ditch this one... maybe for an HP Mini 210 to compliment my full-size lappy (coming soon).