View Single Post
Old 2012-05-08, 14:48   Link #34
Echoes

Shounen action is likely my least favorite genre of anime. I rarely watch it, and when I do, I usually end up disappointed or simply bored. Shows like Bleach, Naruto, One Piece, Toriko and Dragonball simply never appealed to me. Unlike many others, they're not what drew me into anime to begin with, and having sampled some of them, they just don't appear to be what I'm looking for at all at my age. It is a bit of a shame, since shounen action comprise so many of the most popular anime titles, I'm often forced to be contrarian in any anime-discussion I have IRL, as it's the only thing most people I encounter know and like. The sheer length of many of the most popular ones is also a huge deterrence. (I might actually like One Piece, who knows, most people seem to tell me it's the better of the big shounen titles, but I'll likely never want to begin watching anything that's over 500 episodes long. That's far, far too big of a time-sink. I could watch 40 one-cour shows in that time. )

Although it's my least favorite genre, I still make exceptions if something looks particularly interesting. Some shows simply transcend their genre, and I'd never dismiss a show on being a shounen action alone. if I did, I'd miss out on wonderful shows like Full Metal Alchemist, which is still one of my favorites, and whose remake, Brotherhood, was just about as good (discounting any nostalgia), proving to me that the genre still has something to offer me every now and then.