View Single Post
Old 2009-03-12, 00:53   Link #338
raile
Retired Toaster
*Author

I'm female and I go for Mitsuki.

This post will probably be just redundant but what the heck...

I always put off watching KGNE for various reasons. I never really had the time and also because I was told that the shipping wars were damn bloody, something I can really see in most forums where even the mods join in on the blood.

Well, I finally finished watching the series yesterday in one whole marathon and I have to say KGNE is a whole different anime from what I've seen, delving into different emotions and portraying things in a realistic and human way.

Mitsuki was my favorite character in the whole series. She was complex, real, and very human in terms of her personality and actions. She made a lot of mistakes, but don't we all? The way she handled her mistakes and her emotions (mostly guilt and doubt) was really something I could relate to. She was also a kind, caring and loving person.

She loved her best friend, Haruka so much that she decided to become friends with Takayuki so that she could serve as a bridge between him and Haruka, as the latter was too shy to take the first step.
However, things started becoming complicated when she ends up falling in love with the guy her best friend happens to like.
But she keeps her emotions to herself, putting Haruka before herself. She keeps quiet about it and does her best to support them in their relationship (like scheming with Shinji to get Taka to take Haruka to see the movies and talking to Taka about Haruka's feelings). Here, Mitsuki was a good friend.

But no matter how deeply she cared for Haruka, she was still very human and humans are always and will always be selfish. In the pretense of friendship, she steals a few minutes to talk to him. Very subtle flirting, (so subtle that if the viewers had no qualm about Mitsuki's feelings, they'd have only seen their interactions as something friends would do.) just to make herself feel a little better, especially considering how Taka is sold to Haruka already. He is already out of her reach, yet she just wants to spend a few measly minutes to be with him. Thankfully, she doesn't do anything extreme. You don't see her accidentally brushing his thigh or anything. She doesn't talk badly about Haruka or anything like that. She was not sabotaging their relationship. I bet, if the shitstorm didn't happen, there could have been a chance that she could have gradually moved on from her feelings for Taka. Just a possibility.
She had no intention to do ruin their (Taka and Haruka) relationship.

Not even on the day of her birthday, when the accident happened.

Firstly, I'd like to say that Taka and Mitsuki were not at fault for what happened to Haruka. I really find it stupid how everyone just loves to put all the blame on Mitsuki when it was Taka who was running late in the first place, but even still it was not his fault either. Putting blame on either is unfair. Hell, while we're at it, why don't we blame Haruka as well for standing on that specific spot where she gets hit by the car? Why don't we blame her for not moving away fast enough? See my point? Shit just happens, something we have no control of.

What happened to Haruka was really sad. She didn't deserve it. She was just a happy and normal girl, who was just starting out on a wonderful relationship. She did not deserve to lose three years of her life. Period.
Life has a weird sense of humor for putting a girl like Haruka in a coma.

It was hard for her family, friends and to Taka and Mitsuki, who put guilt upon themselves for what happened.
Taka was the most devastated, he could barely take care of himself, he quit school and barely ate. Nobody seemed to check up on him or be there in his grief except Mitsuki.
She made him eat and tried to help him climb out of his depression (we see this when she takes him out to the aquarium). She starts to spend less time in her passion for swimming until she finally quits to look out for him. She does all this for one whole year. She wasn't under any obligation to take care of Taka but she does so anyway. And not for any ulterior motive, I can tell you that.
Just when things are maybe looking up, Taka pulls that stunt in the hospital. Only verifying that things are just only going to get worse, especially when Haruka's parents prohibit him from seeing Haruka, which marks the end of Taka and Haruka's relationship (which was a kind thing to do especially considering what a wreck he became).

While I don't agree with Mitsuki's method of sex, all I can say is that her emotions were already in the boiling point and took control of her, making her act out selfishly, as she had been denied time and again of her emotions for the sake of others. It was at that moment, she stopped being Haruka's best friend. It was at that moment, Taka held out for the lifeline Mitsuki had been trying to make him grasp at. And there and then, nothing would ever be the same again.

Three years pass and Taka and Mitsuki have been living in what appears to be a healthy modern relationship. They look happy together, but that is only on the surface, as both of them are still wrestling with the pain, uncertainty and guilt. For Taka, he still feels very responsible for what happened to Haruka. For Mitsuki, she feels guilty for what happened to Haruka, for loving Taka, and add to that she has to live with the pain and uncertainty if whether Taka really loves her or is just using her as a sort of Haruka-replacement. Akane's hatred in the mix doesn't exactly make things a little easier.

Then when Haruka wakes up, Mitsuki is scared. She becomes insecure in their relationship (I gotta admit, Taka does a lousy job in reaffirming their relationship ) and I can't blame her. She exerts more effort in their relationship while Taka goes out to Haruka out of a sense of obligation.
She was scared of the idea that Taka, the person she had devoted three years of her life to and practically giving up everything to be with him, was going to leave her for Haruka. That was why she moved in with him, that was why she asked him not to see Haruka anymore.
But despite all that, Taka just seemed to continue to drift away from her. He barely talked to Mitsuki, speaking mostly in monosyllables. He practically ignores her on the bus. He didn't seem to want to spend any time with her. When Mitsuki asks him to stop going to the hospital, he starts working late and spending more time at random places doing random things and coming home very late. He doesn't even eat his own girlfriend's cooking. On the phone, he hangs up on Mtsuki very rudely.
It was almost as if he didn't care about her anymore and reinforced Mitsuki's greatest fear that he did not love her. And her whole world came crashing down.

Now, we get to the part why everyone hates Mistuki or how people would call her, the boyfriend-stealing backstabbing two-timing bitch . Cheating is never the answer to anything (except maybe in a very tough exam *gets shot*). In society, people judge others and call them a slut/whore/whatever without understanding the situation. The same would apply to Mitsuki. Everyone right away calls her a tramp and slut for doing the unthinkable with--Shinji, of all people.
But let's look at her situation, she was drunk and mentally unwell (and nobody really thinks straight when they are) and most importantly, she knew (or rather, was under the impression) that her relationship with Taka was hopeless. To her, the relationship was over. By the way, what was Taka doing? (Smooching with Haruka, that's what! And he was SOBER).
I am not justifying Mitsuki's actions, I am only asking that we at least understand her actions and reasons for committing such a mistake. It wasn't like she was doing it for a perverse sense of revenge. She was only hurting herself and we see how the whole thing falls on her, the morning after. When she plays with the broken heel of her shoe, muttering how it's broken, I can assume that it was metaphor of herself, life and/or her relationship. It was a painful thing to watch.

I cried more in the scene where Mitsuki takes off the ring than in the Farewell scene. Because Mitsuki suffered so much. At that moment, she was no different from Haruka, who had lost three years of her life, but while Haruka slept through the pain, Mistuki had to live through it and endure it. She had given up her dreams, her self for Taka and for what? Only to have him fall out of love or to find out he was never in love with her in the first place (although this is just in her perspective, as Taka actually does loves her).
While I felt deeply sad for Mitsuki, I was also proud of her for telling the truth and walking out of Taka's life because she suffered a lot when it came to him. But man, I cried so hard, I ran out of tissues, ;__;

KGNE really knew how to press my crying buttons.
I was really happy when Taka wakes up from his stupidity and fixes things between him and Mitsuki. I admire Haruka for being the strongest character in the cast and for being so understanding. I am also proud of Akane for becoming so much mature and eventually forgiving Mitsuki for her "betrayal". This has been one of the best animes I've seen and I really wish they would churn out more animes like these. Sniff. KGNE really knew where to hit you. TT__TT

Whoa. This has got to be my longest post ever.

Last edited by raile; 2009-03-12 at 01:15.
raile is offline   Reply With Quote