View Single Post
Old 2020-11-06, 10:50   Link #1295
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWTraveller View Post
This's the reason we have an electoral college instead of a straight popular vote, as well as why we have a Senate as well as a House: to ensure that the geographical minorities are heard as well. If popular vote held full sway in everything then the farmers who provide most of our food would have practically no say at all. Fortunately, it looks like there's enough on both sides who've come to realize what a jackass we've been dealing with the last four years (I'd have other words for him, but I prefer not to actually use those).
What you've just described is a problem as old as civilization itself: the rural vs urban divide. And no one has come up with a decent solution in modern day.

I've heard an idea or two here that "Why should we even cater to the rural folk? Why can't we just cater to the urbanites, since that's where everybody is?" should be a better theme. Well, I think folks forget that food just doesn't "magically appear" in supermarkets. I know of many times over the years where dairy farmers would just dump their milk because of price issues... so sure, you appeal to urban folks to get their votes, but what happens when the food prices start soaring? It's supposed to be something handled at a state level, but it always seems to fail- I can say this based on my experiences living in a rural part of NY. Short version is, people are starting to make a lot of noise to split NYC off from the rest of the state, because it feels like the governor ignores anyone not from NYC.

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!