View Single Post
Old 2010-07-21, 16:23   Link #1005
Nogitsune
Shameless Fangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betteroffer View Post
Indeed, in the real world, such a claim that Milly was projecting some ideal onto Lelouch might have merit, but in a fictional setting her feelings should be assumed to be genuine until the story and/or Word of God explicitly state otherwise. Otherwise the arguement could extend to both Shirley and Kallen that they were loving some idea of Lelouch rather than the genuine person, as both girls had development that only gave them a full understanding of Lelouch when it was too late.

My belief with Milly's feelings was more that she did love Lelouch for who he was, but that she knew that both their respective circumstances prevented any chance of them getting together. This was partly why she seemed to try to set Lelouch and Shirley up together as it was a sort attempt to move past Lelouch, as seeing him happy with another girl would allow her to move on herself, in addition to her general concerns for the two of them as friends and desire to see others happy. Further this lead me to believe that her occasional teasing of Shirley was partly a subconcious act of jealousy.
*nods in agreement* Aside from that, I rather like the thesis from the light novels. In those, Milly felt that since she had enjoyed the benefits of being part of the Ashford family all her life, she should also be willing to take responsibility eventually, detesting novels about young rich women who just run off the moment things stop going their way. Of course, that's not canon, and she did ruin most of her engagements, but since most nobles seem to be complete bastards and she didn't make much of an effort to scare off Lloyd, I believe it's a possibility.