View Single Post
Old 2013-01-27, 09:48   Link #372
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
I knew that and that's the reason why I dislike it.
I'm not sure if I'm following you here. Are you saying that all-girls schools aren't a likely place for lesbians to be at?

Well, I think it makes some sense for a teenage lesbian to want to go to an all-girls school, lol.

Quote:
I do as well, that's why my yuri vibes are very strong... I just don't understand why it has to be that the lesbians in anime are usually the girls we less expected..... an ojou-sama, the shy types, a priestess and even a yamato-nadeshiko! Oh, my...*face palm.
With the first three, I'm not sure why it's odd for them to be lesbians. I'll grant you that the yamato-nadeshiko being a lesbian does seem a bit contradictory, yeah.

Still, most of the "heavily implied" lesbians in anime are a fairly diverse group.

Nanoha is a fairly normal girl. Fate is a bit on the quiet side, but she's not too far off from normal. Homura's character goes through quite a bit of evolution, and she feels like a fully realized character because of it (i.e. not really an archetype). Kyouko is a fiery, tomboyish redhead. Sayaka is a slightly tomboyish genki girl. The one confirmed lesbian in MariMite is also tomboyish. Saki Miyanaga is slightly boyish with a very "normal girl" personality (her mahjong talents notwithstanding). Nodoka is a dream girl for either gender.

Quote:
And lastly the participation of other family members is limited..
In fairness, parents in general are often absent from anime. Clannad is the exception even for het romances in anime.

I do like the idea of a yuri version of Clannad, though. Part of a Madoka Magica fanfic I wrote was somewhat in that vein.

I would like to see yuri become a bit more realistic, sure. But I think a lot of its flaws are just common anime flaws (like lack of parents).