View Single Post
Old 2012-08-12, 21:28   Link #45
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Other than the idea that Yui's changes in personality are coming out of nowhere I do have to agree with the assesment that this episode was poor and that they've now taken the whole fanservice/romcom aspect of the show one step to far. The balance is now definitely off as we get further and further away from the conflict that is ravaging humanity. I think it was the last scene of the episode that pushed it over the edge for me. It's really hard to take the situation seriously now when we've gone from doomsday scenarios to hard boiled training scenarios with light fanservice to full on high school poolside shennagins of lets ogle and harass the commanding officer who just went through some reasonably serious revelations not 90 seconds earlier.

That being said, I've been noticing subtle changes in Yui's personality since episode 05 that started to fester into regret by episode 6 and now it seems like she's just looking for another person of her own race that she thinks has a hope of relating to her, but is unwilling to admit it do to pride and thus her attempts to talk with Yuuya just come off as a mess of aggressive advances that turn into petty arguments. Childish? Perhaps, but she is young and has been suddenly ripped away from the life she knew in Japan and forced to become an expatriate. That's gotta be eating away at her on some level and causing her to have some issues.

That's why it's kind of a shame that Muv-Luv has failed to balance it's tone with this arc. It makes it hard to take in all these subtle bits of detail we are learning about the more major characters when it comes with their off model breasts and ass being thrust in our face and them being subject to the camera all but ogling them at every opportunity while the rest of the cast (which by the way so far continues to be pretty one dimensional) acts like horny schoolboys. I'm glad that apparently next episode sees the Beta being reintroduced, because to be honest it can't come soon enough.