Thread: Xbox One
View Single Post
Old 2013-06-20, 03:14   Link #1639
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
You're missing the point. Peripherals create a split market. Microsoft or some other developer could release a slew of great games for Kinect, but it will never have anything close to a 1:1 ratio with the console itself. As a consumer, I have to decide if the extra cost is worth it for those games. As a developer, I have to decide if making a Kinect focused game is going to be worth the investment versus appealing to the consumer who has not bought a Kinect.

By including a Kinect in every system, Microsoft avoids both issues entirely. Developers can use it or not, with no risk. Consumers don't need to justify the additional cost, because it's built right into the console's price. And if it's a bust, and no one really likes Kinect, MS can cut it when they make the next console.

Let's not forget retailers have to carry this stuff too, and space is a premium. A console will always have high visibility, but a peripheral generally doesn't. Chicken and egg, however you want to phrase it, but peripherals and their support historically lag behind the actual console itself.
It doesn't matter "how many" developers want to develop for kinect. My point stands; we don't lack quantity of kinect titles. It is MS's responsibility to create a AAA kinect game title. As a first party game.

And YES, consumers do need to justify the additional cost. It's called "buying a PS4 for 100 dollars less."

You keep telling me there needs to be more developers on board in programming for the kinect. I keep telling you that until MS create a proper good selling game that actually benefits from using kinect, it doesn't MATTER how many kinects is in homes.

If Microsoft can't make Kinect work as a fun, functional game peripheral, no one else would want to try no matter how many kinects are in homes.

Make a good game, and they will buy it. And until you create that good game, no one would believe kinect is worth 100 dollars.

MS needs to prove that Kinect is a good gaming peripheral. That does NOT means forcing it into everyone's homes.