View Single Post
Old 2017-02-05, 17:58   Link #59
Shonensucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmasterxd View Post
No. Nastu is way better. He's actually a good character...Not to mention the two are nothing alike aside from liking to eat...
Hi, nice to meet ya, but I'm gonna have to disagree here. Cookie Cutter Generic Shonen hero and a tribute to Goku no less(the author did say he and oda worked under him), Natsu is annoying and one dimensional and like Luffy is basically a non-character and a copy of Goku's more superficial traits.

Quote:
Anyway to the forum topic in general, Natsu is the best shounen MC I've ever seen. He usually doesn't try to talk his opponents to death and change their ways, and in the rare case that he does, he'll still beat the crap out of them first, then talk (this is where Natsu far outclasses the likes of Luffy and anyone similar).
Nothing new that any shonen hero hasn't done basically? And who has talked his opponents to death in a shonen manga, like you say. Luffy? And basically what your saying is basically what Goku and Luffy have also done as savage blood knight heroes but Goku is far more savage than Natsu will ever be. remember him wrecking the RR, killing Tambourine, beating Daimaku by using his body as a proyectile, beating Piccolo with his arms and legs broken and a hole in his chest, sacrificing himself against Raditz, going KKx4 when x2 could be deadly against Vegeta, his training in the travel to Namek, the way he crushed Freezer's pride, predicting the outcome of the entire Cell Game and putting Gohan in the center stage, threatening Kaioshin, killing Boo with the Genkidama and wishing him back to fight some more, stoping Beers from destroying earth, causing the multiversal tournament... he just went and put a hit on himself just to fight the best assassin in the multiverse again.

Natsu talks about sissy stuff like friends powering him up and being able to do anything because his friends, it's never about his own sense of self progress or joy of being a warrior.

Quote:
And there are even cases against certain villains where he'll go into unforgivable rage territory (Oracion Seis, Tenrou Island, Grand Magic Games, and Tartaros, all come to mind.) Is actually lovable with his idiocy, most of those come off as annoying more than lovable imo.
Same ol Same ol, you know who I like over all of them though Izuku Midoriya from My Hero Academia, it's slightly refreshing that we don't have another shonen MC whose main personality quirk is being a rambunctious moron (Naruto, Luffy, Natsu, Gon, Yusuke, Goku in Super). That said I'm gonna be blunt when I say this, he's a total pussy and not really a fun character like the others. Plus he kind of became the person everyone in the class looks up to a little too early in the series imho.
Still . . .

When he's running around half dead,
His broken arms flopping around in the wind,
Still trying to do everything he can to save folk,
Thinking up crazy shit like luring Beserk Tokoyami into hostile territory,
Winning over the hearts of loveable bad guys like Spinner and Toga,
And the entire time, his face looking like a slice of pizza that was dropped on the floor

. . . I can't help but think:
X
"That's my MC"

Quote:
Always makes it unclear whether he is chaste/oblivious or not XD. And for the cherry on the sundae, he realizes how stupid the heroic sacrifice thing is.
I think he's poorly written to appease kids in being highly innocent and blunt like them with a devious side.

I prefer Souma (Shokugeki no Soma) and even more so as a protags in comparison. He's far from a complete simpleton and has a lot more personality than your typical wind of the mill Shounen protag. His troll side is more of a bonus.

Souma isn't an idiot by any means

He's just a smartass/troll. There's enough to place him as marginally above average by shounen standards from a quality and entertaining viewpoint.

Quote:
All of this makes Natsu one of my favorite FT characters, second only to Wendy.
I'm sorry but I just don't see the appeal, especially the way he does these things which is typical cookie cutter shonen heroes cliches and he's poorly one demensional and too try hard to be edgy like Goku, Yusuke or even like I said Souma(who does it way better). He's just another brain dead hippy like luffy or goku sharing their simple/childlike traits like only really caring about battles and their reckless happy go lucky nature like going with the flow and consequences be damned, his over the top stubbornness etc

Oh and his catch phrase is the lamest empty recycled thing I've ever heard an acton hero utter to symbolize how cool he is. Thats what Natsu is, empty and hollow, barely even a plot device like Touma Kamijou, just a recycled lazy as hell cliche storm that has no substance or usefulness to him.
Shonensucks is offline   Reply With Quote