View Single Post
Old 2012-09-28, 08:30   Link #74
itachi-san314

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiking_Bear View Post
The real motive is the author's motivation. Looking at it from that perspective, the change in hairstyles makes perfect sense. To the reader, Tobi is just Tobi initially. Only later is he "Madara". When Tobi begins telling his flashback stories of Madara, he is shown with long hair. This is to sell us on the idea that Tobi is Madara. And apparently Kishi's trick worked on many. The changing hairstyles do have a reason. But it's the author's reason, not Obito's.
but the readers already bought that tobi was madara before they saw him with long hair in those flashbacks. your logic works both ways. if tobi didn't need long hair to convince other characters, then he didnt need long hair to convince the readers. i can see what you're saying as being a possible outcome though.

Quote:
It was never logical to conclude that Tobi was two different people, especially since it was pointed out that Kisame recognized both long-haired and short-haired Tobi as the same person. So, let's conclude that Obito's change in appearance reflects growth or different periods in his life. Then, what exactly is the inconsistency on Kishi's part?
as long as there is some kind of reason for obito cutting his hair short i will most likely be satisfied. i just dont want kishi to gloss over it like it didnt mean anything. also i think it was logical (not anymore of course) to assume it was 2 people. kisame could have been fooled with a genjutsu fairly easily. he was itachi's bitch afterall since he couldn't handle the sharingan

Quote:
The point is that a different mask does not imply that we have a totally different character. And without other supporting evidence to back it up, hair does not imply it either.
true, but i do like reasons for things. even in reality there is a reason when someone with long hair cuts their hair short, whether it be external, internal or both. they dont just do it for no reason. in literature, things like that should carry even more weight
itachi-san314 is offline   Reply With Quote