View Single Post
Old 2012-08-09, 01:12   Link #94
Hyper
Irregular Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalacticPulsar View Post
Good attempt at a science analogy(someone seems to be fond of particle physics) btw check out this short article [http://rimcountrygazette.blogspot.in...ars-rover.html pretty funny and doesn't really rely on much science background(astronomy vs particle physics- observation vs theory) .
Is this for real? It's hard for me to believe any of them say something like that. It's not like they're competing for the same funding anyway.

Back on topic,
Quote:
However Satoshi can't be compared to an experimentalist. The data he collects is far too simplistic to require complicated analysis.
Neither does Houtarou to Robert Brout and Francois Englert; Peter Higgs; and Gerald Guralnik, C. R. Hagen, and Tom Kibble, right? My point of that analogy was that they need each other. The two tasks require a different set of skills. Houtarou lacks the skills to accomplish what Satoshi can. If he put his mind into it, after some time, maybe he can. That, however, took both time and a lot of effort.

I think you image of an experimentalist is a bit off, but let's not get into that. What I want to argue is "simply collecting data and feed it" is trivialized thing. Raw data are rarely useful. They need to be filtered to separated the signal from the noise i.e. throwing out non-relevant part. And the data are not going to come from thin air. One need to find a reliable source and go collect them. A network of people is another thing Houtarou lacks. He cannot get that overnight either.

In short, it maybe true that anyone can do what Satoshi does. However, those "skills" still took time and effort to acquired. I won't take that likely.
Quote:
It's Kyo Ani. Kyo Ani never makes anything thought provoking.
I disagree with you on that, but that's for another thread