View Single Post
Old 2009-07-19, 08:34   Link #2198
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
I was being facetious. Magic is inherently inexplicable--it doesn't adhere to the laws of reality. How can I explain something that doesn't adhere to the laws of reality plausibly?

Does MGLN itself ever try to explain the scientific principles behind this mysterious energy called "magic?" Of course not, because magic isn't science and science isn't magic. Contrary to popular belief, MGLN doesn't create magic with science, but allows magic and science to coexist.
While I do believe in this as well (otherwise there'd be no point in calling it "magic" wouldn't there? And it is a MAJOR point of the Nanohaverse that most of us here in tech tend to forget), if it can be explained using even pseudoscientific means, then by all means we try and explain how exactly magic does it. Even in the Nanohaverse, they have been trying to explain the effects of certain magical attacks in physical terms (like Variable Barret).

I do find the ""A Wizard Did it" does not cut it." line rather presumptous by itself though... since there are still lots of things in the Nanohaverse that we don't understand and might not be able to understand with science and logic, due to the nature of magic in general (and of course the writer's various limitations, financial and intellectual, when they created the series). Besides, many people in OC do the "explain over the course of the story" schtick, and I believe you shouldn't be denied such a right to do the same for your character.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.