Old 2004-12-24, 13:11   Link #4
Sepiraph
Arayashiki

I've read four novel series written by Jin Yong, namely:
  • The Return of the Condor heroes
  • The Heavenly Sword and Dragon Saber
  • The Demi Gods and Semi Devils
  • The Smiling Proud Wanderer

Those novels I read many years ago, in my teenager's day. Funny that I never bothered to read The Legend of the Condor heroes, the first of the triology of the Condor series.

As for Deer and the Cauldron (btw this is the most common translation of the name I've seen), I have yet to read it but I also have no intention of doing so either for now. I have some ideas on what the novel is about since I seen bits and pieces of the TV series. Frankly, I don't know how I would react to Wei Xiaobao's character. As for the anti-hero theme, it is definitely different than the traditional theme in martial art novel but being different does not automatically equal to greatness either.

Speaking of martial art novelist, I've also read one of Gu Long's work, namely his novel series on The Adventures of Lu XiaoFeng (Luk Siu Fung). And I've also started reading on Chu LiuXiang (Chor Lau Heung) with every intention of finishing it. From what I've seen in the novel and TV series, I might even prefer Gu Long's novels to Jin Yong, especially when it comes to characters.

Lastly, you guys know you can read their novels freely over the internet right? PM me if you need the link.
Sepiraph is offline   Reply With Quote